Saturday, February 16, 2008

Toilet Paper Casting

Happy Saturday!!! There has been a lot of talk on the Byhand Artists yahoo group about paper casting toilet paper and also with, I think it's called, cotton linter... or something like that. I also recently received an atc in a swap on that group that had a paper casting on it. My good friend, Michelle, was over and saw the atc and wanted to give it a try. I've heard of doing it before and it's been on my "to do some day list" for a few years so we sat down and played. We had lots of fun and I have more casting to make cards from. However, this morning while taking a shower (some of my best thinking happens there :-) I started wondering if I could do this with brass stencils. This flourish heart is a Dreamweaver Stencil and I got it from Quietfire Design. I took foam mounting tape, detacked it a bit and put it on the back of the stencil. I put a piece in each corner close to the design and also cut 2 tiny pieces to put in the center of the design to be sure the center stayed supported. I then attached the stencil to a piece of hard plastic and started laying on the toilet paper, pouncing with water and a stencil brush getting the tp down into the design and also I went out over the edge of the stencil. I used about 10 layers of tp on this. Dried it some with the heat tool keeping it at a distance and then let it finish air drying as I had some other things to get done also. As you can see, when I took it off the stencil it had worked very well!! I was so impressed!!! I tore all the edges just outside the stencil edge line. I kept this card simple. The base is Bazzill cardstock stamped with a medium sized flourish (Quietfire Design) in Adirondack butterscotch. The next layer is embossed paper from Quietfire Design and I edged it with a gold Krylon paint pen. I also added a peel offs sticker border along the bottom.

13 comments:

Yogi said...

Very Nice. I like the embossed paper element under the cast paper.
I've done stencil TP before, but never thought of putting foam tape behind the design. Will give that a try too. I just laid the stencil flat onto my melt art mat and pounced about 4 sheets of TP

Aparna said...

Looks stunning in its simplicity!

Thanks for the clear explanation. Something I would also like to try. Make some use of those stencils I have.

Margaret Kane Ward said...

This is lovely and your directions are great. I, too, have wanted to "get around" to paper casting. Maybe sooner rather than later.

Quietfire said...

Beautifully done Wanda!

mary schweitzer said...

Your cards are all adorable! Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog.
Mary

Artist-How-To said...

Wonderful work, thank you for sharing!

Diane Dobson Barton

(Herbie)

Gayle Page-Robak said...

Love your paper casting, Wanda. I love doing this as well and have accumulated a number of molds over the years....Arnold Grummer has some nice small ones out now, have you seen them?
Hop on over to my blog, a suprise awaits you :)
Hugs, Gayle.

Unknown said...

This did turn out really well. I would be interested in seeing a picture of the stencil with all the tape and stuff. (Having a hard time picturing it).
Karla
You're invited!!!!

What: A Blog Party

Where: http://daydreamstudios.blogspot.com/2008/02/welcome-to-my-humble-blog.html

When: Now thru next Tuesday

Why: Becuase I made it to 100 posts (wasn't sure I'd make it past 3)

Time: My blog never sleeps, so come when you can.

Who: You of course, bring a friend too.

P.S.: I have a present to give away!

Kristy C said...

This is awesome......this is something I have wanted to try for a long time too! I think you've inspired me :)

Deborah March said...

Nice one Ms Wanda!

Timaree said...

I've got to try this. My daughter and her girls would enjoy this too. And, I am tagging you for 7 random facts about yourself. I was tagged and am passing it on to 5 others. Hope you are game for this; if not, ignore it.

K said...

beautiful!

Pink Elephant Soapery said...

I have not done this tech in a long time! Hmmm thanks for the memory and maybe I should play with it again!