Sunday, September 16, 2012

Back to those tags


Those tags being the ones I made and took with on my trip to Ohio over Stampaway weekend.  If you don't know what I'm talking about scroll down a few posts.  This is one of the tags I made (I'm scheduling the other 2 over the next 2 days) to take with and swap. A very cool technique that was mentioned to me at our last local in-person atc swap by one of the new people that come to the swap, Alexis.  A technique using paint and 91% rubbing alcohol.  She mentioned it was in the book Surface Treatment Workshop which rang a bell and when I got home I checked and, yep, I had the book.  I really need to work through all the techniques in this book... very cool  Anyway this particular one is found on page 86.  For my tag I used a #8 manilla tag from Ranger.  I painted it with Paint Dabber lettuce and let it dry completely.  Then I used Paint Dabber colors raspberry and sunset orange... these need to be watered down... you paint them on and then drip on the alcohol while the paint is still wet.  What I did was use a pipette, made lots of drips and then blotted with a paper towel.  It made the most wonderful variegated color on the tags... totally awesome.  You could do more controlled drips and you don't have to blot leaving a more defined pattern but for these tags I loved how it turned out with the blotting.  After it was dry I used an alphabet stencil (Dylusions) and Archival ink in the background.  Stamped the border image (Dylusions) along the top and bottom with jet black Archival.  Added the white in the borders with a pen.  Stamped laugh with jet black.  "Stamped" all the white circles with white paint and various lids or items sitting around.  The larger black dots were done with a pencil eraser and jet black.  The little black dots are an old stamp.  "laugh" didn't stand out as well as I wanted so I went around the edges with a black Glaze pen.



8 comments:

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Yummo!!! Love all these fab bright colors, and your design is great! This tag is so so so fun!!!! Laugh of happiness!!!

SusanK said...

Very cool!

Alexandra said...

I've not heard of this background technique, great result and lovely cheery colours, the sentiment goes well with them. Great border stamping and lid stamped bubbles too. Fab!

Von said...

Fabulous technique Wanda :)
Von ♥

snazzyoriginal said...

Love the tag, fantastic colours, off to try the technique xx

Marjie Kemper said...

Love these beauties!

Lori said...

These are so great Wanda, loved the bright colors and the tech!

Nancy said...

You KNOW I LOVE this one!!!