Sunday, December 2, 2012

A Butterfly Christmas


Certainly not a traditional Christmas card except for the colors.  I recently bought some stamps from Chocolate Baroque; I totally could not resist some new butterflies, flowers, etc.  I purchased Tangled Garden, and Butterfly Flourish/Fantastic Florals Multi Set.  Soon after I received the stamps I got some of the new Distress Stains and so why not combine them.  I took a piece of manila cardstock large enough for the butterfly image (this butterfly is about 5" x 4") and scribbled some iced spruce down the center, added evergreen bough on either side, and finally festive berries on either side of that; and then stamped the butterfly with jet black Archival.  After I had it stamped I was wishing I had embossed it just to make it pop a bit more but after letting the butterfly sit a couple of days I had an idea - I took Microglaze and rubbed it over the whole thing deepening the colors and the stamping and then cut out the butterfly.  Then what to do.....   hmmm, the colors are good for Christmas, why not?  The background is done on manila cardstock with evergreen bough stain and brushed pewter stain onto the craft sheet; dip and dry, dip and dry.  Then I stamped the pine trees (Tim Holtz image), stamping 2 -3 times between inkings to get the look of closer and farther away trees.  Then to give it a hazy, snowy look I added brushed pewter drops and flicks.  I also edged the piece with brushed pewter.  Holly Jolly Christmas is from Quietfire Design.  



11 comments:

Nancy said...

Wow! The gorgeous butterfly just pops on this! This card is stunning, Wanda!

Nancy said...

Wow! The gorgeous butterfly just pops on this! This card is stunning, Wanda!

Linda Ward said...

What a great untraditional Christmas card !!!

Jane Wetzel said...

had to drop in and say...STUNNING..love this

SusanK said...

I think most any image works for any season as long as the color palette is right. This holiday butterfly is stunning!

lilyandthelotus.blogspot.com said...

How totally beautiful! oh my who wouldn't love this..and besides butterflies were here before santa
hugs
susan s.

Glenda said...

Love your colours Wanda - it has real impact!

thanks for sending me the link,
Glenda

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Very gorgeous and what a super wonderful design!

Nan G said...

Fabulous card! Absolutely love the colors and a stunning butterfly!

Marjie Kemper said...

Love those wings and how the body melts into the BG!

Quietfire said...

Oh, my I'm not keeping up very well. This is amazing! Thanks so much for using the stamp!