Monday, October 2, 2017

Simon Says: A Walk on the Dark Side


Hello There!!!!!  I'm absolutely thrilled to have been asked to be this months Spotlight Designer for the Simon Says Monday Challenge.  I could hardly believe my eyes when the email came from Lols.


Wow!!  Thanks so much, Lols and Simon Says Stamp, for this opportunity!!



This week on the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge we have A Walk on the Dark Side.  The challenge is to use Dark Colors or to go with a Halloween theme.  As always, the first week of the month also showcases a product and this week it is Tim Holtz products so if you have some we'd love to see how you use them.  If you don't have any, it's all good, you can still create something for the theme and enter the challenge.

As always Simon Says Stamp will be giving away a $50 voucher to use in their shop.


For my project I went with Dark Colors, and actually one dark color, black.   


I knew for this project that I would use dark colors and had decided maybe I'd stick with black but beyond that I had nothing.  So as I do when there is a deadline and I've got no plan, I just started something.  I took a piece of black cardstock (4 1/4" x 5 1/2") and brayered on some Distress Oxide Reinkers (Black Soot and Walnut Stain).  Shake the reinker bottles and put just a little bit on the craft sheet, run the brayer through the ink a couple times lightly and then onto the card a couple times lightly.  Pick up the rest of the ink and brayer in the opposite direction on the card. 


After drying the ink, I used the Flourish Embossing Folder and then inked over the high spots with Distress Ink Black Soot.  This gave a nice contrast to the Oxide.


The panel was edged with Distress Paint Tarnished Brass, dried well, the edges distressed, and then Tarnished Brass splattered on using Tim's Brush.  


I love to use flowers including the Tim Holtz/Sizzix Wildflower dies so I cut them from black card and sprayed them with Distress Mica Spray Tarnished Brass.


I'd chosen a picture from the Tim Holtz/Idea-ology Photobooth pack and I had left the picture and all the black flowers just laying on the panel for awhile as I wasn't really sure where I was going next with it and while doing other things as I walked past it the thought "Hope Springs Forth" popped in and I thought, "Oh, that would be cool" and I cut one flower from the Wildflowers 2 set from yellow card and spritzed it with Distress Mica Spray Tarnished Brass.  


I pulled out the Small Talk Sticker Book and Metallic Stickers Book and the Quote Chips hoping to put that phrase together.  I found Hope Is Never Lost and decided that would work just as well.  I could have used a Dymo or the computer to create the first phrase, but I like this.  I cut the Quote Chip between Hope and Is, nipped the corners of the Hope piece, inked both pieces with Distress Ink Mustard Seed, dried them, and added Distress Paint Tarnished Brass to the edges.  The whole time I was working on this panel I was planning to make a card.  Once I was this far, I think because I liked it so much, I decided it needed to become a canvas.


I got out a 6" x 8" canvas panel and put both Black Soot and Tarnished Brass Distress Paint onto the panel, sprayed it with lots of water and moved it around a bit.  I was concerned that I'd used too much Brass but, nope, the back overtook it.  I thought about a second layer but chose to just move on.  I knew the center area would be completely covered.


I used the Tim Holtz/Stamper's Anonymous stencil Mesh along with Wendy's Black Embossing Paste and after removing the stencil added Clear Embossing Powder and then heated it all.  Fun stuff..... 


And then I forgot to take any more process pictures.  

I put some Tarnished Brass paint on my Craft Sheet and using a dry paint brush, brushed it on the canvas panel.  Sprayed the paint on my craft sheet with a little water and then used the Splatter Brush to splatter all over the canvas.  Next I stenciled through the Bubble stencil with Distress Paint Black Soot using a Stencil Brush.  When you have a more fluid something that you want to stencil, it can really help to get a nicer image if you use a stencil brush.  The very edges of the canvas are painted with Black Soot.  I die cut another set of Wildflowers from black card and used them without spraying or inking them.  The black flowers and main panel are attached to the canvas as shown.  Finally I added a Metallic Sticker at the bottom.


I do hope you like my project.  Thanks so much for following along!!

Hugs, Wanda






22 comments:

Lorraine A said...

absolutely gorgeous canvas Wanda :-) the photo is so pretty and I just love the dark background, the textures and shimmer are beautiful and I love the flowers with the pop of yellow, the whole design is stunning!

It is so lovely to have you along with us this month!! welcome aboard! :-)

luv
Lols x x x

Macarena said...

This is totally beautiful, Wanda! I love the textures you gave to the canvas and the panel with photo. Great use of embossing folder and inking the upper elements. Amazing contrast and a velvet look. Love the mix of black and tarnished brass. This is really cool! I acan't wait to see what you will come with for next Mondays! So happy to have you with us this month. Hugs, Marzena

Krista Hentges said...

Absolutely awesome!! I love the whole sentiment of the piece!!

Catherine said...

This is awesome, Wanda! I love the background you created with all the texture and the addition of the black wildflowers gives it a mysterious edge. So happy to have you with us this month, it's going to be so much fun seeing what you create each week!

Cathie ♥

Turid said...

What a cool walk on the dark side, without any of the evil side❣️

Marci said...

Such a striking project!

Suman Pandit said...

gorgeous canvas Wanda !!love the textures on the background and yes...dark but with such a positive feel and message !! thank you for all the lovely messages on my posts for PaperArtsy challenge, following you now :)

simo said...

Amazing project...lots of interesting steps! I loved to know your creating process...can't wait to see your next takes!!! Hugs xxx Simona

Mac Mable said...

Congratulations on being the spotlight designer. What a fabulous project, all dark and gorgeous. Thank you for the step by step. Love all the elements, the layout and all the texture x

Stephanie said...

This is gorgeous, Wanda! I love the pops of yellow!

*mwah*
Steph
Simon Says Stamp!

Maura said...

Wanda, this turned out beautifully! I like how you shared how you got going when you had no idea. The textures are fab, and love the touches of yellow! hugs, Maura

Andrea Ockey Parr said...

What a wonderful piece and I love how you've emphasized the idea of HOPE. I also really liked reading about your techniques and seeing all of your detail shots. What a treat to have you as a Guest Designer with us this month! Your aesthetic is amazing!

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Oh yummy... The tones, the photo, the textures... Gorgeous!

Let's Art Journal said...

Wow, what an amazing project! You are so brave using black as the main colour and the results are stunning and so elegant 😁. Wishing you a Happy October and Weekend! J 😊

Emma Williams said...

I'm so happy that you're joining us this month over on Simon Says Stamp and I can't wait to see all your wonderful projects but this is such a fabulous way to start...it's beautiful Wanda! I love all the texture and the way you've created the background to showcase that beautiful image, really lovely... <3

Marina said...

Loads of texture and I love the pop of yellow!

Kath Stewart said...

stunning project Wanda with so much beautiful texture and detail, welcome to the SSS Monday Challenge family, we are so happy to have you on board and I can't wait to see what you will be sharing with us next week...hugs kath xxx

Anna-Karin said...

This is gorgeous Wanda! Look at all those fantastic textures! The black and touches of yellow are perfect together. Thank you for being our guest designer this month! I am looking forward to seeing all your projects! / Anna-Karin

Meihsia Liu said...

This is such a gorgeous creation, Wanda. I love the beautiful layered embellishments and the texture is awesome. It's so great to have you join us this month. Can't wait to see all your creations! :)

Zoey | Scrapsaurus said...

wow this is awesome!! love all these texture you created!! so yummi!

Sandra said...

What a fabulous piece, Wanda! Love the dark colors along with the little pop of yellow. Welcome to our team for this month as GD! Hugs, Sandra

Barbara said...

Stunning project WAnda! Love every detail and your step by step is absolutely interesting! Happy to have you with us this month! barbara